If you’re about to create a garden of your own for the first time, why not start by having all the right gear! Below are a few of your garden basics. Start with what you need most and in no time you’ll have all the equipment you need to create a masterpiece.
- Lawnmowers – they come in many shapes and sizes – from a push mower to easy pull action petrol mowers to the ride on mowers for your acreage.
- Garden Shredders – although not essential they’re handy for decreasing the bulk of your trimmings quickly so that you can dispose of them easily. Gardening shredders with an electric shredder are suitable for branches up to a maximum of 40 mm.
- Cultivators – these are used to help in cutting the hard compacted soil smoothly. They are perfect for cleaning the moss, aerating the soil and in thatching. A cultivator will aid in preparing vegetable plots, flowerbeds, etc.
- Hedge Trimmer/Pruning Sheers – self explanatory!
- Spading fork – this is a versatile tool used for aerating and transplanting. Use this to split grasses and perennials. It can also be used as a manure fork, mulch fork, and sorting hay.
- Mattock – used for breaking up the clay soils and working around established trees with roots. A unique two-in-one tool, if you have a mattock there is no need for a pick and a hoe.